City of Wodonga


Frequently asked questions

Does it cost to make a planning application?

Yes. Application fees vary according to the application type and value of works and are statutory fees which are set by the Victorian Government.

Please refer to the fees and charges.

Top of page Top of page

What is a title restriction?

A title restriction may include a covenant, section 173 agreement, or caveat. A covenant is imposed by the developer of the estate in which your land is located. A planning permit is required to vary a covenant and you should consult with planning officers prior to proceeding further down this path. A section 173 agreement is a legal contract made between us and another party or parties, made under Section 173 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987. A section 173 agreement generally requires someone to either carry out, or not carry out, any matters specified in the agreement. A full copy of title and any restrictions are required to be lodged with each planning application.

Top of page Top of page

How long will a decision on my application take?

Many applications are processed within 60 working days. Our planners will work on several applications simultaneously and decision times will vary depending on workload, complexity and scale of an application. Where public notification and/or referral agency input or further information is required, this can extend the timeframes of decisions. You do need to plan ahead and allow enough time for the permit process to occur prior to commencing works.

Top of page Top of page

How do I lodge a planning application or meet with a planner?

Applications for planning approval can be lodged either via mail or at our Hovell St offices. A planner is available in the office from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, for one-hour appointments. You can make an appointment by phoning the community focus team on (02) 6022 9300 or you can book online.

PLEASE NOTE: You may only book online two days or more in advance (excluding weekends) and not for the next working day.

Top of page Top of page

How is a decision made?

Wodonga Council planning officers will assess the application on the following:

  • State Planning Policy Framework;
  • Council's Municipal Strategic Statement;
  • Local planning policies for Wodonga;
  • Land use and development controls;
  • The proposal's response to the site context;
  • Whether the proposal maintains or enhances the character of an area;
  • Whether the amenity of adjoining properties is compromised by the proposed development and/or use; and
  • Submissions from referral authorities, neighbours and other interested parties as applicable.

Top of page Top of page

Who makes the decision?

Our planning officers have delegated authority from the council to consider and decide on most planning permit applications. This includes refusal of applications. Councillors are regularly briefed on the determinations made by the delegated officers. The council does make decisions on applications where there have been more than five objections or major or controversial proposals.

Top of page Top of page

My permit has conditions. Is this usual?

Yes. All planning permits will be accompanied by conditions. These conditions will include matters specific to the permit sought. Examples of conditions may include the time frame in which the development/use must be commenced or completed, amenity, car parking provision, engineering requirements and/or other relevant matters. Please read these conditions carefully as you are responsible for compliance with these conditions. If you are unclear with the intent of a condition imposed on your permit, please contact our statutory planning team.

Top of page Top of page

Can I challenge the council's decision?

Yes, if you do not agree with a determination of ours, you can make an application for review of our decision through the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal. However, prior to doing this you are encouraged to contact our statutory planning team before lodging an appeal and discuss the matter first.

Top of page Top of page

Can my planning permit be extended?

Yes, provided it has not expired. A condition on your planning permit will set down the time period by which the development and/or use must commence or be completed. The permit will expire if the permit is not complied with in the specified times. An application for extension to this time can be made for within three months of expiry. An application must be accompanied by the applicable fee and an explanation as to why and for how long an extension to the permit is sought.

Top of page Top of page 

Last updated: 18-04-2017

Share this page