City of Wodonga


Home based businesses

Wodonga Council recognises a home-based business as a business where (defined by the ABS):

  • Most of the work of the business is carried out at the home(s) of the operator(s); and,
  • The business has no other premises owned or rented other than the home(s) of the operator(s).

Government requirements

Using your home as a place of business may mean complying with particular state, territory and local government regulations. Depending on the location, size and type of business, special permits relating to zoning, noise levels, health issues or signage may be required. Similarly, you may need special permissions to mediate any impact on the surrounding residential area, particularly in terms of parking, energy use and pollution.


Wodonga Council’s Economic development team appreciates the challenges home-based businesses may face in adhering to various government requirements. We can streamline the process for businesses by helping identify and obtain what is required. Likewise, if you wish to expand your home-based business to commercial premises, the team can help locate an appropriate site to match your specifications.

Useful resources

For further information, please phone the council’s Economic development team on (02) 6022 9300.

Last updated: 01-03-2018