City of Wodonga


Buying an existing food premises

Waitress serving food in a cafe.

When purchasing a food business, our environmental health team needs to be informed of the change and the registration needs to be transferred into the new proprietor's name.

To transfer the registration into a new proprietor's name, you must complete the following steps: 

Step one: Complete and return a transfer of owner's consent form and application to transfer registration signed by the existing and proposed proprietor.

Step two: Request a transfer inspection and written report of the business to ensure the premise complies with the requirements of the Food Act 1984. 

Step three: We will then issue a Certificate of Registration. Your premises must not open prior to receiving the Certificate of Registration. It is an offence under the Food Act 1984 to operate a food business without being registered.

We do not indicate who is responsible for outstanding orders in a transfer report. However, the new licensee will be responsible for all outstanding items after a Certificate of Transfer of Registration has been issued.

New proprietors who commence trading without transferring the premises registration are committing an offence under the Food Act 1984 and this may lead to enforcement action being taken.

If you are planning on making alterations to the premises you will need to submit an application form for plans approval with the applicable fee. Provide two scaled floor plans of the proposed food premises to our environmental health team for assessment showing:

  • The layout of all fixtures, fittings and equipment;
  • A description of materials to be used on surface finishes including walls, floors and bench tops; and
  • Locations of waste disposal area, storage areas, toilets, etc.

Our environmental health officer (EHO) will assess the submitted plans, once plans have been approved construction and/or fit-out of premises can be completed.

If you need to know more, see the frequently asked questions or read the Department of Health's food business guide.

For further information on buying an existing business, please visit

Top of page Top of page


All fees are outlined in the Environmental Health fees and charges sheet (Fees change as of July 1 each year).


PDFApplication to transfer a food premises (PDF 127KB)

PDFTransfer owner's consent form (PDF 60KB)

Last updated: 03-07-2019

Share this page