City of Wodonga


New food premises

Pizza being served.

Under the provisions of the Food Act 1984, any business or groups that wishes to sell food (including alcohol) must register or notify (depending on class/business activities) with council.

Our planning, building and compliance teams will also need to be consulted as well as the local water authority, North East Water.

To become registered, you must complete the follow steps:

Step one - Submit a floor plan

     a. Submit an application form for plans approval. Provide two scaled floor plans of the proposed food premises to our environmental health team for assessment showing:

  • The layout of all fixtures, fittings and equipment;
  • A description of materials to be used on surface finishes including walls, floors and bench tops; and
  • Locations of waste disposal area, storage areas, toilets, etc.

     b. Pay the plans approval fee. An environmental health officer (EHO) will then contact you to arrange an appointment to inspect the proposed premises and assess the submitted plans against the Food Safety Standards. 

Once plans have been approved construction and/or fit-out of premises can be completed.

Step two - Apply for registration

  1. Complete the application to register a food premises form and return to council
  2. Pay the applicable fee.

The types of foods provided will determine the class of food business under the Food Act 1984.

The class will then determine the level of record keeping needed for the business and what the food safety program requirements will be. To determine what class of food premises will apply based on your level of risk, please visit the Business Classification Tool.

As part of the application process Class 1 and 2 businesses need to have a food safety program in place and ensure the person nominated for the role of the food safety supervisor has completed the relevant training. This will need to be supplied to council before registration can be granted.

For further information on these requirements, please phone our environmental health team on (02) 6022 9300 or visit the Department of Health's food safety website.

Step three - Arrange a final inspection

Our environmental health officer will complete an inspection of the food premises once works are completed to ensure they meet the approved plans.

Step four - Approval

We will issue a Certificate of Registration. Your premises must not open prior to receiving the Certificate of Registration. It is an offence under the Food Act 1984 to operate a food business without being registered.

If you need to know more, see the frequently asked questions or read the Department of Health's food business guide.

Visit for in-depth information on how to start a new business/obtain correct registrations.

Top of page Top of page


All fees are outlined in the Environmental Health fees and charges sheet
(Fees change as of July 1 each year).


PDFSubmitting plans for approval for a food premises (PDF 99KB)

PDFApplication to register a food premises (PDF 99KB)

PDFSo, you want to run a food business? (PDF 89KB)

PDFNotification of food premises - Class 4 only (PDF 126KB)

Last updated: 02-07-2018

Share this page