City of Wodonga


Frequently asked questions

Do I need to register my dog or cat?

All domestic cats and dogs over three months of age must be registered each year with us. We conduct a doorknock each year to ensure all dogs and cats over three months of age are registered.

Is microchipping compulsory?

Microchipping is compulsory for all animals under the Domestic Animals Act 1994. For more information on microchipping in Victoria including how to change your details on microchipping registers, see RSPCA Victoria's website. Also make sure you let us know if you have changed your address.

Do all cats need to be desexed?

Yes. All cats are to be desexed as of April 10, 2007.

How many animals can I keep?

You can keep up to two dogs and two cats, over three months of age on any premises (with the exception of properties classified as Rural 1. If you wish to keep more than this number of animals, you must apply for a permit.

How can I see if my lost animal is at the pound?

If your dog or cat is picked up by a ranger, they will do everything within their power to return it to you that day – so make sure they are microchipped and registered (and your contact details are up to date) so your loved companion can be brought home as soon as possible. Someone must also be at home to receive the animal when it’s returned to the registered address. If you can’t be contacted or the pet is not microchipped and registered, it will be taken to AAMF in Lavington. The facility is manned from 9am to 4.30pm weekdays and 9am to 10am on weekends and public holidays. Check the AAMF Facebook page for the most up-to-date listing (or to see if your dog or cat has been impounded. You have eight days to claim your pet.

  • If it’s registered, phone AAMF on (02) 6025 9682 to make an appointment to collect it during opening hours.
  • If it’s not registered, you will have to register it before you can collect it – either online (pay via credit card) or in person at AAMF.
  • If your cat is not desexed, you will have to arrange with AAMF for a vet to desex it before you can collect it. 

*Please note impounding fees also apply (see Pound services)

Top of page Top of page

Where can I exercise my dog?

Dogs may be walked in most areas of the municipality. They must be under the owner's control at all times (preferably on a lead) and all droppings left by the dog removed and disposed of appropriately. You may be fined if you fail to do this. There is an off-leash dog park located at Belvoir Park on Reuss Rd, near Church St.

Top of page Top of page

Does the council have a cat curfew?

Yes. Cats must be confined to their owner's property between 7pm and 7am, seven days a week. Outside the curfew hours cats may wander freely. However, if a resident asks that your cat not enter his/her property and your cat repeatedly does so, after two warnings from the resident and a notice of objection from us, the cat may be trapped and impounded or a fine issued.

Top of page Top of page

What do I do if a dog or cat keeps wandering on to my property?

You must notify the owner either verbally or in writing that you don't want the animal on your property. If after two notifications the animal is still entering your property, you should contact us and we will warn the owner once and then issue a fine.

Top of page Top of page

What do I do if a neighbourhood dog barks a lot?

You must notify your neighbour that their dog is barking. Sometimes the owner is unaware that their dog is causing a disturbance. If the dog continues barking, contact us and we will ask the owner to do something about the situation. You must then complete a log sheet (supplied by us) of the dates and times the dog is barking and return it to us. If we cannot resolve the problem with the owner, the matter can be referred to court for a decision.

Top of page Top of page

What can I do to stop my dog from barking?

Dogs can bark for a number of reasons. Movement of people, animals or vehicles near the property, the dog becoming bored or lonely, and sometimes for no apparent reason.

Here are some simple solutions that may minimise barking:

  • Restrict your dog's view to inside the yard. If your dog cannot see the person or vehicle on the other side of the fence, it may not bark;
  • Provide regular exercise for your dog;
  • Brighten your dog's environment with toys, balls, etc;
  • Ensure your dog has a secure, well maintained sleeping area;
  • Leave a radio going inside when you go out, so that your dog thinks you are still at home; and
  • Take your dog to obedience training. Local service providers offer help to train your dog. You can check the Yellow Pages for further details.

Top of page Top of page

Last updated: 01-07-2016

Share this page